The second CCC program ran from 2011 through 2014 and was implemented under the name CCC2. Under CCC2, more than 50 researchers were active in 8 work packages representing a program volume of €9.5 million and addressing the topics ‘Carbohydrates for Nutrition and Health’ and ‘Carbohydrate Conversion and Processing’.

CCC2 built on and expanded the successes of CCC1 in terms of scientific outputs, publications and dissertations, as well as in strengthening cooperation between the knowledge institutes and businesses. Examples include:

1. New or improved carbohydrate fibres (for human and animal nutrition) including investigation of:

  • more affordable and sustainable alternatives in the form of carbohydrates of vegetable origin
  • reduction of antibiotics use
  • more efficient production of food and complex carbohydrates affecting disease resistance and fat storage in production animals
  • measurement of immunological and metabolic effects of carbohydrates
  • immune system-regulating properties of oligosaccharides from various sources.

2. Accelerating the potato breeding process.

3. New applications for traditional raw materials such as:

  • upgrading and utilization of biobased materials. This includes optimization and increasing the added value of potato-derived substances for use in the paper industry
  • stabilization of biologically active components in milk. This knowledge can be used to better protect heat-sensitive components, enabling products with important basic substances to be made available worldwide.

CCC2 resulted in 5 patents or patent applications (including planned applications), 61 scientific publications, 10 completed PhDs, 67 scientific lectures and 163 other presentations and displays, alongside investment of €8.2 million in attracted funds, €3.9 million of which was from the participating companies (cash and in-kind), for new CCC research programs and continued deepening and valorization of CCC 2 knowledge. Some 69 FTEs have been actualized, directly and indirectly related to the program. In addition, 79 new jobs were created by the CCC 2 partners, with an additional 20(at least) directly program-related jobs in the coming 4 to 5 years in programs to follow up CCC 2. This doesn’t even include the employment indirectly created, which has similarly been achieved. It’s safe to state that the CCC 2 program has produced, directly or indirectly, more than 366 FTE.


The participating business enterprises and knowledge institutes together contributed 55% of the program costs for CCC2. The remaining 45% of the program budget was co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF); the Netherlands Ministry of Economic Affairs, Agriculture and Innovation; the Northern Netherlands Provinces Alliance; and the provinces of Groningen, Fryslân and Drenthe.